Sun Ra 'Singles' 3LP
Sun Ra 'Singles' 3LP
Sun Ra - 'Singles' triple vinyl LP.
Features fully remastered tracks, rare photos, original 45 artwork, Chris Trent sleeve notes and detailed track by track session notes by Paul Griffiths.
1. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Space Loneliness
2. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – State Street
3. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – The Blue Set
4. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Big City Blues
5. Sun Ra & His Arkestra Featuring Pat Patrick – A Blue One
7. Sun Ra & His Arkestra Featuring Pat Patrick – Orbitration In Blue
8. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Out There A Minute
9. Little Mack With Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Tell Her To Come On Home
10. Little Mack With Sun Ra &; His Arkestra – I’m Making Believe
11. Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra – The Bridge
12. Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra – Rocket # 9
13. Sun Ra & His Astro-Solar- Infinity Arkestra – Blues On Planet Mars
14. Sun Ra & His Astro-Solar- Infinity Arkestra – Saturn Moon
15. Sun Ra & His Astro-Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra – Journey To Saturn
16. Sun Ra & His Astro-Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra – Enlightenment
17. Sun Ra & His Astro-Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra – I’m Gonna Unmask The Batman
18. Sun Ra & His Astro-Intergalactic Infinity Arkestra – The Perfect Man
19. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Love In Outer Space
20. Sun Ra & His Arkestra – Mayan Temple
21. Sun Ra Quartet – Sky Blues
22. Sun Ra Quartet– Disco 3000
23. Sun Ra – Rough House Blues
24. Sun Ra – Cosmo-Extensions
25. Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra – Quest
26. Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra – Outer Space Plateau
27. Sun Ra Arkestra – Sometimes I’m Happy
28. Sun Ra Arkestra – Nuclear War
29. Sun Ra Arkestra – On Jupiter / Cosmo Drama
30. Sun Ra Arkestra – Cosmo Drama
31. Sun Ra – I Am The Instrument
Following 2016’s definitive collection of singles released by Sun Ra from across his illustrious career, Strut present the second volume of the vinyl edition on 3LP format which focus on Ra’s later 1962-1991 period.
Released sporadically during the three decades and primarily on the Saturn label, the 45s offer one-off missives from Ra’s prolific cosmic journey, tracing the development of his forward-thinking “Space-Bop” and his unique take on jazz and blues traditions which remains unlike anything else from the period. As with the first volume vinyl editions, the collection is hugely varied, ranging from Ra’s spoken word recitations and some of his R&B recordings to alternative versions of Arkestra staples like ‘Love In Outer Space’, ‘Enlightenment’ and ‘Rocket No. 9’. The singles are also unpredictable vehicles for Ra’s music, combining different tracks from different sessions and occasionally making available music which was recorded many years beforehand.
As Francis Gooding describes them, “they are answers to questions that albums won’t answer, and questions that can’t be asked or answered elsewhere.”
As with Ra’s LPs, most 45s were only pressed in small runs and have since become extremely rare and sought after. On the volume 2 vinyl editions, we feature tracks that have only ever been seen via a small handful of copies including ‘Love In Outer Space’ b/w ‘Mayan Temple’ and ‘The Blue One’ b/w ‘Orbitration In Blue’; some were planned and pencilled but allegedly never made it to vinyl and some appeared as limited one-off magazine singles including Ra’s very last single release, the reflective ‘I Am The Instrument’.